Below are some resources specifically geared towards COVID-loss that we have found helpful during this time.
- VITAS COVID Loss Support Group is an ongoing weekly virtual group that meets on Mondays 4pm PST/ 7pm EST. You can join via zoom or phone-in and all groups are facilitated by a social worker, chaplain, or bereavement worker (no religious affiliation). Open to people based anywhere.
- COVID Survivors for Change offers free, weekly virtual support groups for anyone who has survived Covid-19 personally or experienced the trauma of a loved one killed by Covid-19. All groups are led by mental health professionals specializing in trauma. In English Thursdays at 8:30pm EST and in Spanish Wednesdays at 9pm EST. The structure of each 70-minute session includes a presentation on grief and then the larger group is broken out into small discussion groups of 6-10 for the next 30-40 minutes, and attendees are invited to stay after for a guided meditation.
- Comfort Zone Camp is offering free camps online and in person for children whose loved one was a healthcare worker and died of COVID (and companion programming for parents/guardians). They are also offering an in person camp for young adults 18-25 from August 5-7th 2022 in New York. Please check their website for the most up to date offerings.
- Heartlight Center hosts virtual monthly and bi-monthly grief groups open to anyone. They offer a general grief group that meets twice a month as well as specific loss type groups (sibling, parent, and spouse) that meet once a month. Heartlight Center also has a 4 week mourning group series that is more structured and costs $65. Please visit their website to register and see current groups and times.
- Redcross Virtual Family Assistance Center is a helpline for front line workers (defined broadly) staffed by volunteer mental health and spiritual care workers offering short-term immediate support and resources. They cannot offer ongoing support, but will help with accessing other resources (financial, housing, mental health, etc.) Call 833-492-0094 to be connected.
- Findhelp.org lets you search by zip code to find different kinds of resources near you or nationally available (financial, mental health, housing, domestic abuse, etc.) For US based folks only.
- Whats Your Grief? is a website that has articles, blog posts, and written resources related to grief and related topics including COVID grief. Resources are available for grievers, people supporting others grieving, and professionals providing grief support.
- The Dinner Party is a platform for grieving 20-, 30-, and early 40-somethings to find peer community and build lasting relationships. Since 2014, The Dinner Party has connected more than 13,000 grieving peers to one another, including 2,000 since the start of the pandemic. The Dinner Party offers a “Buddy System” virtual dinner party tables, and other events.
If you need immediate help or are in crisis, please contact any of the following 24-hour hotlines:
If you are looking for a therapist, we recommend checking out:
Please see our Resource Guide for additional resources beyond what we’ve listed here.